Think of the college fair as a time to check out your options in just a few hours! Rather than searching online, looking through websites for info on majors and costs, the schools bring their people to you and can answer those questions in person.
Here are a few tips from college admissions counselors to help you make the most of the fair:
- Visit as many schools as possible. Check out at least one that isn’t even on your radar. You may surprise yourself and choose that one!
- Think of college as a way to expand your friendships and contacts. Don’t choose a college based on where your high school friends plan to attend.
- What are the three most important things to you as you think about college? Is it location? Classroom size? Graduation rates? Majors? Extracurricular activities? Scholarships? Public transportation? The list can go on and on–but choose at least three that you want to ask each booth you visit so you can start comparing.
- It’s okay for a college to scan you and enter you into their data base. This helps keep your options open in case your Plan A and Plan B don’t work out.
- Only take the swag that is offered – please don’t steal the pens!
- If you are really interested in a school or two, make sure you get the admission rep’s name and contact info so you can follow up with questions.